Autumn Sun – Recipe
A delicious holiday-season juice or smoothie.
The unique flavor of persimmon has a natural affinity with the brighter flavors of orange, and the spicy, mild heat of ginger. Turmeric adds a depth and lemon brightens the other flavors. Dark rum or dry white sparkling wine complement this recipe perfectly if you want to turn it into a cocktail.
Oranges are a rich source of vitamin C. Persimmons are excellent source vitamins A and C, vitamin B6, potassium and the mineral manganese. Turmeric provides iron, manganese, copper, potassium, vitamin B6, and curcumin which is known for its actions as an antioxidant and anti-inflamatory. Ginger contains gingerol also well known as an antioxidant and anit-inflamatory.
Before you Begin:
Ripe persimmons will turn into pulp in most vegetable juicers without yielding any juice. So, for juice, make sure your persimmons are still unripe and hard. For riper persimmons make the smoothie version of this. If your juicer makes pulp out of unripe persimmons, just pivot to the smoothie version and nothing will be wasted.
You can ripen persimmons quickly by putting them in your freezer overnight in a plastic bag.
2 – 3 medium oranges
1 – 2 medium unripe persimmons
1 small piece of turmeric root – the size of grape
1 small piece of ginger root – the size of a grape
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Juice the oranges with the citrus juicer.
- Juice the other ingredients with the vegetable juicer.
- Combine in a glass and add lemon juice to taste.
Enjoy straight up or over ice.
2-3 medium oranges
1 ripe persimmon
1 small piece of turmeric root – the size of two grapes
1 small piece of ginger root – the size of two grapes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Juice the oranges with the citrus juicer
- Juice the roots with the vegetable juicer.
- Use additional turmeric and ginger if needed to make 1 teaspoon of juice each.
- Remove the leaves from the persimmon, and cut into quarters.
- Combine the orange, lemon, turmeric, and ginger juices in the blender with the persimmon pieces and process for a minute until smooth.
If you don’t have or want to use a vegetable juicer reduce the ginger and turmeric by half, peel the roots, add them to the blender whole, and strain the smoothie before serving.
Variation: Add ice to the blender or freeze half the orange juice in an ice cube tray before blending if you like your smoothies extra cold.