Thai Vacation is a bright, hydrating, semi-sweet, and pleasingly tart juice. The oils in the lime leaf give It a rich mouthfeel. It’s highly aromatic, a little piquant, and has a beautiful bright green color. You can make this with any kind of juicer including orbital, slow, and presses. I like to use D’Anjou or Comice pears for this but you can use any sweet ripe pear. Note that if your pear is too ripe most juicers will just turn it into a paste and you will get almost no juice from it.
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Vegetable juicer Any kind of juicer will work, e.g., orbital, slow, press.
- 1 Citrus juicer Any kind or alternatively juice by hand.
- 250 g Pear. 1 Large Pear.
- 210 g Cucumber. 1 medium cucumber.
- 20 g Lime juice (or to taste). From 1 lime.
- 12 g lemongrass white part only. 1 Stalk trimmed. Save the remaining stalk for garnish.
- 18 g Yellow ginger. Or 14 g Chinese ginger.
- 2 Makrut lime leaf. Sometimes sold as Kaffir lime leaf.
- Wash all the produce.
- Trim off the root portion and tough outer layers of teh lemongrass stalk until you're left with only the tender, lighter-colored center.
- Cut the rest of the produce into pieces that will fit into your juicer.
- Roll the lime back and forth on your counter using enoug force to make it soft but not enough force to break teh skin.
- Half the lime and juice it. Squeeze by hand if you aren't using a juicer
- Juice the remaining produce together starting with the ginger, lime leaves, and lemongrass. This allows the juice from the other ingredients to better extract these flavors.
- Add lime juice to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining lemon grass stalk, or a lime wedge.