We call this juice Rally, as in to recover in health, spirits, or poise. Roasting the beet gives this juice umami that pairs well with the sweet-tart flavor of ripe oranges. Lime enhances these flavors and balances them out with a hint of bitterness.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash all the produce well
- Wrap the beet in a sheet of foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until tender. When you can pierce the beet to its center with a fork without resistance the beet is fully done.
- Remove the skin from the beet while it is still warm. Either wipe the skin off using a paper towel, or rub it off using your fingers while it’s submerged in a bowl of water.
- Slice the beet into small pieces, about 1/2″ by 1/2″ that will cool quickly, Put them in the refrigerator uncovered until chilled.
- Juice oranges until you have 10 fl oz of juice and refrigerate the juice covered until chilled,
- Combine the beet and 1/4 cup orange juice in the blender and process until smooth. Mixing the remaining orange juice in later avoids additional oxidation of the juice.
- Strain the remaining orange juice if desired.
- Add the beet mixture to the remaining orange juice and stir until combined.
- Add lime juice to taste.
- Serve over ice, and garnish if desired with citrus zest, wedge, or wheel, and enjoy.
- Vary the proportions to get the beet flavor where you like it.
- Add finely grated orange zest to the blender with the other ingredients to enhance bitterness,
A 12 ounce serving of this juice provides 150% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C, Beet also provides a host of essential nutrients including Folate, Manganese, Potassium, and Iron. The nitrates in beet help to oxygenate the blood, lowering blood pressure and improving athletic performance. Find the full nutrition panel below.,